Archive for the ‘OSC’ Category

iPod Touch controllers and onwards…

Monday, June 1st, 2009

ixy_500px

5 screens each with up to 6 simultaneous and assignable controllers via iXY MIDI Controller on the iPod Touch 2G (held in my lovely Ped3-Auto stand) with MIDI Monitor on my Macbook is showing it works…

Scanning through the iPhone/iPod Touch apps on synthtopia I came across a number of previously unknown MIDI and OSC controllers which I’ve now installed on my iPod Touch for testing. Some are free – including the iXY MIDI Controller and MIDI Motion Machine from CM Software Designs which use the DSMI Server – more details at the DS Music Interface homepage. Some cost a bit – such as Pro XY from Far Out Labs LLC who also make the interesting looking ProRemote and ProTransport (though you have to install the ProRemote server which runs as a background process and can’t be quit – which I don’t much like), the minimalist Fantastick (with its equally minimalist homepage though I also found a discussion thread on the MaxMSP boards – shame its MaxMSP/PD only) and iOSC (which needs 2.2.1 software). I’ll play around a bit with these and report my findings.

(more…)

Processing, monomic and shado updates…

Monday, March 30th, 2009

…mostly with Processing including the monomic library and Nick Rothwell’s shado…

light_wave_virtual_500px

Processing

1. Light Wave Virtual

I’ve moved this on a fair way and now have a patch which effectively recreates the physical piece – albeit in ‘wireframe’ – and lets me change the overall wavelength and amplitude and the width, length and space between each strip via keydown – as well as shifting the x, y and z point of view via the camera. It still needs a bit more refinement… but is coming along nicely.

(more…)

Latest Processing, Director, Tiction/mrmr etc. developments…

Sunday, March 22nd, 2009

…as well as Nick Rothwell’s shado, SevenUpLive…

mirror2_lewis_500px
My functionality developments for the Mirror2 patch by Daniel Shiffman.

Processing

As with my previous experiments with Flash I think that selecting Processing found and library examples I like and then extending their functionality will be a good way to develop my coding skills…

(more…)

Other Projects & Resources: Summarise (and Rationalise)

Sunday, March 8th, 2009

I know there’s always ‘more out there’ to explore – but I thought I’d summarise (and rationlise) the probably ‘already more than I can manage’ range of projects and resources I regularly check for news and updates:

cdm_homepage_500px

Create Digital Music – “a webzine and community site for musicians using technology” and Create Digital Motion – “a webzine and community site for VJs and other producers of moving images” have become essential reading and part of my Newsgator aggregated RSS feed which I access on the move on my iPod Touch.

I have a monome64 and while I’m interested in all things monome I’m particularly keen on SevenUpLive – “a Java application that combines 8 different monome applications into one interface.  With it, your monome communicates with Ableton Live 7 via MIDI…”.

(more…)

Owl Project m-Log workshop

Sunday, February 15th, 2009

on Friday, 13th February I attended the Owl Project m-Log workshop at FACT in Liverpool and spent a thoroughly enjoyable (though quite intense and tiring day) building my own m-Log from the supplied kit.

mlog-out-of-the-tin-500px
the m-Log kit

(more…)

Video in Processing, General Potterings…

Sunday, February 1st, 2009

With only a single core Intel MacMini to use at the moment I thought I’d keep off the audio and revisit some past programming explorations…

mirrome
The webcam to monome to midi app mirrome

But it was a fairly frustrating day… a couple minor victories being:

  1. managing to run an old VMWare Fusion virtual machine and copying off the old Processing and monome work I’d done when I was still trying to make Win XP my development platform;
  2. getting my machine to work with video capture in Processing… I’ve been struggling with recent Beta versions but an upgrade to the now officially released v1.0.1 threw up a new error dialogue box which helped me identify the problem – the b-l-a-c-k-o-p.com CamCamX plugin – and a google.com search helped find the solution – deleting the CamCamX component from the QuickTime plugins folder. Finally!

(more…)